Tuesday, September 6, 2016

IRB Intro #1 - The Sunflower (Simon Weisenthal)

For the first marking period and for my first IRB, I am choosing to read The Sunflower, by Simon Weisenthal, a Jewish Austrian Holocaust survivor.

The Sunflower is split into two parts. First, the author takes us through an emotional story of a Nazi soldier who begs for forgiveness from the Jews for his actions. This alone sounds fascinating. However, throughout the rest of the book, different, more current people of unique backgrounds respond to Weisenthal's situation. I'm hoping that all of their perspectives reach me and make me think.

My rationale for selecting this book was relatively simple: I am Jewish and thus, I have an interest (and feel a sort of connection) in tales about the Holocaust. I've never heard of a story such as The Sunflower and am looking forward to reading it!


No comments:

Post a Comment