Monday, February 20, 2017

TOW #19 - Why the World Needs a Trump Doctrine

Why the World Needs a Trump Doctrine was all about how Trump has not made good decisions up to this point in his presidency, and how he needs to make particular decisions regarding foreign policy. I was almost getting angry as I read the article – what right did the author have to make suggestions and proclaim them as the correct courses of action? In fact, what right do any of us have to tell the president how to do his job? While I may not agree with Trump’s moral standards (to any extent), he did win the presidency, and is our president. However, after doing a bit of research on the author, Zbigniew Brzezinkski, I learned that he has a vast political background, having served as President Jimmy Carter’s principle foreign policy advisor. Clearly, Brzezinkski knows what he is talking about. Brzezinkski discusses China and Russia, the two other major military forces in the world.


While I’m sure the author knew what he was talking about, I was not too convinced as a reader. I felt that Brzezinkski was not giving enough evidence to effectively substantiate his argument. He repeatedly said that Trump “should” do this and “should” do that, but didn’t go much further than that. The article had a lot of potential, but considering Brzezinkski did not go beyond purely criticizing Trump and solely making suggestions, I was not convinced as a reader. Had the author used statistics or appealed to logos in some way, I may have been much more influenced by the article. In my opinion, considering Trump’s ego, I don’t find it worth our time trying to persuade him to change his views or implement policies which he didn’t come up with. In the end, as Brzezinkski puts it, “While we did not support Mr. Trump, he is the president of the United States. He is our president, and we want him to be a success.” This is the point that I would drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment